Saturday 18 December 2010

Knitting is Not the Only Needle

When my daughter was very small I thought it was a lovely idea to make her a Christmas-sock; something lovely homemade that she could keep and cherish her whole life. I ordered a kit and started, very enthusiastic, to embroider her very own Christmas-sock.

This was five years ago...
Well, now I´m about half way, each year I add a quite substantial amount of stitches and by the time she´s about...45, her sock will be finished!
  • The trouble is that embroidery competes with knitting about the very limited amount of Time To Do Whatever I Want. And knitting is more fun!
  • I also need daylight for these 40 billion different shades on Santa´s coat and at this time of the year daylight is quite scarse! Yes, I know there are daylight-lamps on the market and one day mabye I`ll buy one. But I can knit in almost darkness (well, not all sorts of knitting, but if it´s simple enought, light is not very important).
  • Knitting is a mobile hobby: I knit on the bus, in the car and at all sorts of strange places. But for the embroidery I need to sit at home neatly in my sofa, so as not to tangle up or lose some of all those strands of yarn or one of the pattern-sheets.

I have two kids, so I need to make two socks... The other one for my son is still in its package, and I fear it will remain there for quite some time.


No comments:

Post a Comment