Tuesday 29 March 2011

Go East!!

A week ago the snowdrops were fighting their way up from the frozen earth, through the snow and ice, towards the sun. It´s the same miracle every spring: when the winter seems to drag on forever, suddenly the snowdrops quitely has used the warmest spots in the garden and are standing there, the first flowers of the year! While writing this I hear Pet Shop Boys´"Go West" playing in my head. But we went east, my daughter, my sister-in-law L and me! We took the boat to Riga, the capital of Latvia, and spent a day there. Riga is an old city with a long and interesting history. Our short trip of course didn´t give us time to make the city justice so we spent our time walking round in the Old Town.

We had left a cold and wintery Stockholm and arrived in a likewise cold and wintery Riga, where a very fierce and icy wind forced us to take shelter in cafés. And in one of them we had a chocolate-cake that will live long in our memory!

Splendid knit-wear was on sale everywhere, togehter with amber and Russian dolls. L had her mind set on Russian dolls while I tried to take in as much of the hand-knits as pissible. Since my daughter had forgotten her mittens at home, I had a very good reason to buy her a pair.

Riga seen from a Ferris wheel.

I gifted myself with a pair of knitted socks. Knitted in thin wool they are very comfortable to wear and they have a very interesting toe, of a kind I have never tried.

No comments:

Post a Comment