Friday 1 October 2010

The Greatest Knitting Tool

I can´t read and knit at the same time (which is a great pity!) but knitting and tv goes very well together. The tv is actually my greatest knitting tool and some of my best times are spent in the sofa, with a cup of tea on the table beside me, something tempting to knit - and someting nice on the tv! Of course, I can´t trust the tv-compaines to make the choice for me, and I don´t have SO much to choose from: we don´t have cable. But most things I can wish for is available on dvd! I seldom follow tv-series, they usually run to late in the evening for me, and I actually can´t have my lifte adjusted to what is shown on tv. So I patiently wait until the thing I want to watch is released in dvd-boxes. Yes, one day even I will have watched "Mad Men"!


A few weeks ago a new box arrived, and a whole new world opened up to me. It was Granadas "Sherlock Holmes" with the excellent Jeremy Brett as the famous detective. What a joy to watch! And what a voice Jeremy Brett had. Absolutely seductive!

The series is said to be very "true" to the books. I read a few Sherlock Holmes-stories as a teenager, but judging from the size of the box, I had missed quite a lot. So when I found the complete Sherlock Holmes-stories and novels in two paperbacks, I bought it and am now enjoying Holmes and Watson in both filmed and written versions. I can´t really say which is the best: the books or the dvd - they are both very good!



The first volume is a little over 1000 pages long. It´s good to know that I will not run out of either yarn or things to read for a very long time.









1 comment:

  1. Hello! Happened to come across your blog. How lovely that you are enjoying the Granada series! It _is_ the most faithful to the stories of all Sherlock Holmes versions filmed so far.

    And since you enjoyed Jeremy Brett in his role as Sherlock Holmes, I thought you might also enjoy this website: http://www.bafta4jb.com (take a look at the photo gallery)

    ReplyDelete