Friday 12 November 2010

Someone Will Have Warm Ears

My neighbour asked me to knit at winter-hat for her 8 months old daughter. I looked among my yarns and found some Debbie Bliss Rialto Aran, bought a long time ago for a project that never came into beeing. In a leaflet with Selbu-patterns I found the jolly men and women and I quickly produced a swatch. After som calculations I cast on and soon the hat was finished!



The photos with a pinkish back-ground are taken with a flash, the one with a gray background is taken without flash.




It has ear-flaps and i-corded "bands" to knot under the chin. I wanted it to be a really useful hat, something that actually could be worn during the cold winter, so I decided to line it with thin white fleece. I cut the fleece in a very simple form and sewed it together on the sewing-machine. Then I handstitched the lining to the hat, using blanket-stitch (langettstygn). I´m very pleased with the result, but was a bit nervous when I walked across the road to present the hat to the intendend recipient. It turned out a success, however: little R was laughing loudly in her new hat!


I used one of my son´s outgrowned hats as a model when making out my hat. I have found this a useful way when knitting for children: to use a store-bought item as a guide. One very quickly forgets the size of children at different ages. I have an assortment of baby-bodies from H&M in different sizes that have turned out very useful.





















No comments:

Post a Comment