Tuesday 7 September 2010

Not According to Plan

I had other plans, that had nothing to do with cotton or with hats. But a lone skein of cotton, Blue Sky Alpacas Hand Spun Organic Cotton, was lying on a shelf and demanded attention, like a small child. I have had this yarn for a while, but had no ideas what to do with it. It was just one skein and it was cotton (usually not my favourite!) so it didn´t trigger my imagination. But now this yarn wanted to se some action! I fingered it a while, choose a 3,5 mm circular needle and thus armed I started...

... a hat! A very simple hat, ribbed and with a small cable as the only embellishment.

For a while I was pondering on whether adding some colour with another cotton yarn would be a good idea, but my severest critic, Mr Darling Husband, was neagtive. "Make it simple" he said. "You tend to go a bit berserk with colour when you´re knitting! You would never go out and buy a hat patterned like that, so don´t knit one!"

Well, he´s not right all the time, but quite often, so I took his advice and voilá: a new hat is born!
The yarn was a very positive surprize: a real pleasure to knit with! I would really like to use it again and I have visions of a cardigan...
This was all for now, folks, and next time I will give you something completely different, like... hats!


No comments:

Post a Comment