Monday 6 September 2010

Sissinghurst

Finally, the last end is woven in, all the stitches for the neck- and armband are picked up and knitted and the blocking is done! Sissinghurst (Ravelry-link) is finished and tomorrow she (he?) will make her (his?) debut in the big world.



Actually, I don´t think this vest looks very good on my trusted companion Miss Lizzy, it looks much better on me! But I think Miss Lizzy can live with that. This project really turned out exactly as I had hoped and I´m so pleased with it.

The colours suggested in the pattern was just to my liking so I saw no reason to experiment with other colours. The yarn, Rowan Pure Wool 4 ply, isn´t only a pure wool, it´s a also pure pleasure to knit with. The colour-pattern looks more difficult than it is, it looks stranded, but actually only one colour is used at the time. The effect is attained with lifted stitches - very simple, really!


However, I made some changes to the pattern, like starting the whole thing of with a tubular cast-on. And why weave in more ends than absolutely necessary and having to sew up two long long side seams - when it´s so much simpler to knit in the round? It would have been even handier to use steeks and so be able to knit the whole thing in the round, but I wanted to be able to try it on in progress. So some back-and-forth knitting was required and a lot of ends to weave in. Since I don´t very much care for sewing, it may sound stupid to use a sewn tubular bind-off for the neck-and armbands. But I have become really fond of the look of the tubular look and find it well worth the trouble.

And now it´s time to start a new project.




No comments:

Post a Comment