Wednesday 18 January 2012

The Patent Stitch

The first stitch I learned - after the knit and the purl, of course - was the brioche-stitch, or as I prefer to call it: the patent-stitch (patentstickning). I have mainly used it for scarves, but once I knitted a whole sweater in patent-stitch. Some days ago, I found this book:

"Knitting Brioche" by Nancy Marchant. At first I thought it an overkill to write a whole book about one singe stitch, but then I got curioius and ordered the book. It arrived yesterday (trust Adlibris to deliver fast!) and I had a really pleasant time looking through it. The patent-stitch actually IS worthy of a whole own book: there is soo much one can do with it! It´s an excellent stitch for double-sided things and for playing with colours.

The book is very informative with a lot of pages containing technique shown in clear colour-photos. There is also patterns for a lot of projects: hats, mittens, scarves, sweaters... I´m really keen to grab a pair of needels and some yarn and cast on for a swatch. Suddenly there are so many things I just have to try. This book is a really good addition to the knitting-library!


This is something I knitted over ten years ago, a very over-sized scarf or a small blanket. I used the patent-stitch and different lovely yarns from Rowan. I keep it at work and use it those days when the heating is not working very well.




No comments:

Post a Comment