Saturday 14 August 2010

Sissinghurst

Slowly it has growed in my mind, that I´m actually a "vest-person". Often knitted cardigans and pullovers are to hot to wear in a modern central-heated world, both at home and at the office. But at the same time I need something to protect me from the evil draugths that suddenly sneek upon me and result in ace in shoulders and neck. So why not wear a west?

And when I found "Sissinghurst" (Ravelry link) in Rowan 46, I was "sold" and decided that this vest was going to be part of my autumn wardrobe.


I went with the suggested coulors in the pattern, quite unusual for me, but I really liked this combination. But why knit this in two pieces, when knitting in the round would save me so many lose ends to weave in? (There are enough loose ends as it is!). I started with a tubular cast on, to get an edge that looks so much more "worked". The vest looks like it´s been knitted stranded, but in fact every round is knit in just one colour and the effect comes from lifted stitches.


When the back was finished, I had to try the whole thing in Miss Lizzy, my trusted knitting companion. Well, she doesn´t knit herself, of course, but she has a great understanding of knitting. The only thing I have against her is that although whe have the same body measurements, she still have a better figure than I!


At this moment I have actually reached still a little further, I have now only the upper right front left. And circa 3 million ends to weave in... I spent two hours yesterday evening watching tv and dealing with loose ends. There are far to many left! My only solace is that had I not knitted in the round, there would have been even more ends to deal with.



I now could pretend once more that I´m a prefect knitter that never makes any mistakes. However, far to many vitnesses exists that can tell you otherwize, my husband is one of them. "Are you ripping AGAIN, whats wrong this time?" I have a secret fear that the things I knit will turn out to small, which often has resulted in thing being to big. While knitting on this vest, I heard a small voice in my head telling me: "It´s to big, it´s WAY to big!!". When I had knitted 30 cm AND dealt with the loose ends on that part, I tried the thing on, and it was waaay to big! I sulked over this for a few days. But a knitter´s got to do what a knitter´s got to do, so I ripped and reknit. Now the result looks good on Miss Lizzy, at least.

Now, where is that darning needle...

No comments:

Post a Comment