Sunday 15 August 2010

Swatching

This weekend was not only spent weaving in loose ends, I took some breakes from the darning-needle and did some swatching. For a long time I thought swatching was a extremely boring thing to do, but in later years I have changed my mind. Swatching is a great way to quickly try out a new idea or to learn new technicalities, without starting up a whole new project. Sometimes I just have to deal with a new idea immediately and then a few rows with some scrap-yarn will do the trick.


I´m thinking about a pair of cabled socks and wanted to start them with a k2 p2-tubular cast-on. So I turned to the wonderful reasource: The Net, and found a tutorial by Ysolda. The tutorial was very good and I had no problems to follow it. However, I was not very pleased with the result, I just couldn´t get the edge to look tidy enough. I tried in two different sorts of yarn, and here is one of the results:



It actually looks better here than it does in reality.



Then I tried this and was much more pleased. The yarn is some leftover Rowan "Calmer". I´m thinking about some lovely aran-weight wool for these socks.


No comments:

Post a Comment